May 21, 2012

Come fly with me


On Saturday, I took my first-ever trip aboard an airplane when we flew to the Tri-Cities to wish my Grammy a happy belated Mother’s Day.

Mom and Dad were a little nervous, since they had no idea how I’d respond to being in the air (pressurization on the ears and all that fun stuff). Turns out, they had nothing to worry about. They took great care of me inside the plane, and our Saturday and Sunday flights both went off without a hitch. They made sure to feed me during takeoff and landing, so I was busy chewing and swallowing during all the altitude changes.

Dad also chose our flights wisely, picking not only the ones with the fewest people onboard (so we were ensured of having an entire row to ourselves), but also the ones flying at the times of day when I’m typically in the best mood. Overall, a lot of great planning and execution from the Rose parents.

Maybe I’m too young to appreciate it just yet, but being my age for your first airplane trip is nothing to sneeze at. The first time my dad ever set foot on a commercial airplane, he was 18 years old and had just graduated from high school. Me? I was just a few days short of seven months old. Having a dad who works in aviation certainly has its benefits.

So without further ado, here’s a short photo essay of our weekend trip, courtesy of Horizon Air (Shameless plug: Wings of the Great Northwest!).

We arrived at Sea-Tac at 6:15 a.m., and Dad still didn't think we got there early enough.
Mom tells me he's always like this at airports.

Since I'm under 2 years old, I wasn't required to have my own seat. And with less than 20 people on the flight, there was no need to do so. But Dad was beyond excited for me to get my own boarding pass, and he wasn't going to be stopped.

We're officially airborne, and I'm downing a bottle like it's 2 minutes before last call.
Mom had to pull it away to make sure we had some left for when we landed.

You know, this is pretty cool.

I fell asleep with this outside my window...

...and woke up with this. You have no idea how disorienting this can be to a 7-month-old.

Touchdown in Pasco. Let's do it again!

Hello, Tri-Cities sunshine!

A few photos from Kennewick: First, some quality time with Grammy...

...and with Grandpa.

Mom discovers a fun new way of feeding me.

2 comments:

  1. No time on this trip. Which means the kid still hasn't been there.

    We're spending some extended time in the Tri-Cities in July -- you can bet she'll finally be introduced to the glory that is Hubby's.

    ReplyDelete