January 24, 2013

Tale of the tape: 15 months


The late, great George Carlin once said, “Dogs lead a nice life. You never see a dog with a wristwatch.” Well, you can apply that to babies as well. Babies never have appointments to hurry off to. The only time I’m ever in a hurry is when I run down the hall to the front door every night when Mom comes home from work.

So, ignoring the fact that I can’t express my thoughts verbally and can often be found sitting in a diaper filled with my own urine, I’m fully aware that I’ve got a pretty great life. I don’t need to get a job. I don’t have homework. I get to take baths regularly. People wait on me hand and foot.

Make with the Cheerios, bub. Now.

Another perk of being a baby? Every three months, you’re treated like royalty – in the form of doctor checkups. When you’re an adult, you get to feel special just once a year, on your birthday. Obviously, babies are always the center of attention, but even more so every 90 days. During these appointments, doctors and nurses fall all over themselves to make sure I’m growing up nice and healthy. It’s really quite flattering.*

* Then again, the fact that each appointment ends with me getting shots and/or blood drawn does tend to dampen the mood a bit.

That was again the case yesterday, when I went in for my 15-month checkup. Things went swimmingly – Dr. Lindsay used the term “awesome” once again – and I remain drop-dead average on all of my measurements:

Birth weight: 7 pounds, 7.6 ounces
6-month weight: 17 pounds, 6 ounces.
9-month weight: 20 pounds, 3 ounces.
1-year weight: 22 pounds, 8 ounces.
15-month weight: 23 pounds, 3 ounces. (Fun fact: For the first time, I was weighed by standing on a scale instead of lying in the baby scale. What a milestone!)

Dad's having a harder time throwing me in the air these days.
It's not that surprising, though. Have you seen his arms?

Birth length: 20.25 inches.
6-month height: 26.5 inches.
9-month height: 28.5 inches.
1-year height: 29.5 inches.
15-month height: 31 inches.

Stretch!

Birth head circumference: Not available.
6-month head circumference: 43.5 centimeters.
9-month head circumference: 45.1 centimeters.
1-year head circumference: 46.4 centimeters.
15-month head circumference:  46.9 centimeters.

My head's pretty big, mmmmkay?

As has been the case for much of my entire existence, my head circumference remains well above the other two measurements in terms of how I stack up against other babies. I’m starting to understand why my birth took so long. Sorry, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment