October 25, 2012

Tale of the tape: 1 year


As I told you on my birthday, I had my one-year checkup this week. Having gone through this every three months since birth (and actually more often than that, considering I had checkups even more regularly during my first few months), it's become old hat to me. So much so that I now know exactly what will happen before we even get to Dr. Lindsay's office.

Step one: Our nurse Lucy comes in to measure my head and my height, and then she weighs me.
Step two: Dr. Lindsay comes in to look me over, tell me how awesome I am, and listen to my parents' inane questions.
Step three: Lucy comes back in and I get a vaccine or have blood drawn.

Oh, step three. How I hate you. Sometimes it's shots, sometimes it's blood, but either way, sharp metal things are being jabbed into my lovely, pudgy thighs. This time, it was three (three!) vaccines: Hib, MMR and a flu shot. While I'm here, I might as well mention step four: I cry uncontrollably for several minutes and then fall asleep for close to two hours.

Lather, rinse, repeat every 90 days.


Prospective parents and/or babies, this is what you have to look forward to. Anyway, on to the stats.

Birth weight: 7 pounds, 7.6 ounces.
6-month weight: 17 pounds, 6 ounces.
9-month weight: 20 pounds, 3 ounces.
1-year weight: 22 pounds, 8 ounces.

Birth length: 20.25 inches.
6-month height: 26.5 inches.
9-month height: 28.5 inches.
1-year height: 29.5 inches.

Birth head circumference: Not available.
6-month head circumference: 43.5 centimeters.
9-month head circumference: 45.1 centimeters.
1-year head circumference: 46.4 centimeters.

So for those of you keeping score at home (and honestly, why wouldn't you be?), my weight has more than tripled since birth, and I'm nearly 50 percent taller. No wonder I'm having trouble fitting into my old chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment