July 2, 2013

Home Sweet Home


This past weekend was a big one for me, and not just because I was able to spend hours upon hours reaping the benefits of having a Slip ‘n Slide and kiddie pool located side-by-side in my grandparents’ yard. No, it was a big weekend because I finally got my first look at my new house.

This is the house where, if my parents have anything to say about it, our family will be spending the next 30-plus years. It’s the house where I’ll be waking up on Christmas morning, learning to ride a bike, getting my first visit from the Tooth Fairy, and performing backbreaking manual labor in the backyard while Dad naps in a hammock with a beer.

Yes, after about a month-and-a-half of house hunting, Mom and Dad finally found one they loved. They submitted an offer on May 30 and found out later that day that it had been accepted. It officially became ours last week. Interestingly, after restricting their home search almost exclusively to West Seattle (where our condo was), they found the house of their dreams in the Seattle neighborhood of Wedgwood.

Now, I’m sure you’re asking yourself, “What kind of goofy name is Wedgwood?” That’s a great question, and I honestly have no clue. All I can tell you is that it’s located in northeast Seattle, just a tad north of (shudder) the University of Washington. Mom was able to get Dad to overlook that horrifying fact and focus more on the close proximity of great schools, a lovely lakefront beach, some nice shopping options, and Elliott Bay Brewery.

Plus, the house itself is pretty great. Mom and Dad took me over there on Sunday morning while they discussed boring things like paint colors and tree limbs, and I give it my full approval. There’s three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a big backyard, and plenty of room inside for both me and my sister-to-be to play nicely (every once in a while).

Here are a few photos of the new place.

Here's what the living room looked like when Mom and Dad first saw the house.
The picture up at the top of the page is what it looks like today.
Someone needs to tell them that the house was robbed!

Same goes for the master bedroom. The bed is gone now, too!

Here I am checking out my bedroom...

...and here I am checking out the kitchen, where I'll spend hours
getting in the way while Mom and Dad attempt to cook.

Big backyard!

'You shall not pass!'

As I mentioned back in May, we’ve been living with Mom’s parents in Redmond ever since Mom and Dad sold our old place, which gave Mom and Dad the time to do their house hunting without any real urgency. We’ve enjoyed it so much there that we’re actually going to be sticking around for a couple more weeks. That’ll give Mom and Dad a little extra time to paint the interior of the house while it’s still empty, and also do a bit of landscaping work before we officially move in.

Speaking of landscaping work, Mom bought Dad a lawnmower for Father’s Day. You’ve never seen somebody so excited, especially when you consider that he essentially just received a gift of weekly chores. I can’t wait to see the fireworks when he stupidly reciprocates by buying Mom an ironing board for her birthday.

'I will iron your sheets when you iron out the inequities in your labor laws.' Amen, sister.

1 comment: