April 16, 2013

Tale of the tape: 18 months


On a recent weekend morning, I was walking from the dining room to the living room, holding a graham cracker in my hand and just minding my business. From behind me, Dad called my name from the kitchen and I turned to him as I kept on walking. But because I suddenly wasn’t watching where I was going, I walked straight into the ottoman, knocked myself off balance and fell on my butt, tragically breaking my graham cracker. It wasn’t one of my prouder moments, although Dad seemed highly entertained by it.

Why am I telling you this? Well, last week I visited Dr. Lindsay for my 18-month checkup. And you’d think that since I’m officially halfway between my first and second birthdays, I would’ve outgrown stupid pratfalls like this by now. [Editor’s note: Sorry, kid. If you’re related to me, it’s going to last for at least another 30 years.]


Well, now that we’ve established that my senses of “balance” and “not doing idiotic things” aren’t developing as quickly as they should, what about the rest of me? Read on for my latest round of measurements.

Birth weight: 7 pounds, 7.6 ounces
6-month weight: 17 pounds, 6 ounces.
9-month weight: 20 pounds, 3 ounces.
1-year weight: 22 pounds, 8 ounces.
15-month weight: 23 pounds, 3 ounces.
18-month weight: 25 pounds, 3.2 ounces (69th percentile).


Birth length: 20.25 inches.
6-month height: 26.5 inches.
9-month height: 28.5 inches.
1-year height: 29.5 inches.
15-month height: 31 inches.
18-month height: 32.25 inches (81st percentile).

Birth head circumference: Not available.
6-month head circumference: 43.5 centimeters.
9-month head circumference: 45.1 centimeters.
1-year head circumference: 46.4 centimeters.
15-month head circumference:  46.9 centimeters.
18-month head circumference: 47.9 centimeters (88th percentile!).


So even though I’m constantly an “America’s Funniest Home Videos” clip waiting to happen, I seem to be developing well enough physically. In fact, I’m sprouting so much that I’ve just about outgrown my first pair of real shoes (the middle pair in the above photo), which I’ve worn to day care every single day for the past four-plus months. What a moment! Maybe I can convince Mom and Dad to bronze them and each wear one as a pendant on a necklace. I’ve seen stranger things.

No comments:

Post a Comment