March 5, 2012

Under the Sea


On Saturday, Mom and Dad took me on the first of what I expect will be many trips to the Seattle Aquarium. Considering that up to this point, my only experience with water had been sitting in a Puj tub while I got my monthly bath (kidding, it’s at least twice as often as that), this was quite an event. The sight of starfish, jellyfish, an octopus, seals, otters, and countless other sea creatures kind of blows the doors off of what I usually see when I look in the water: two chubby legs and a washcloth.

The three of us went with my Uncle Brian and Auntie Heather, plus my cousins Madeline and Addison. Interesting factoid: Dad says the last time he and Mom had been to the aquarium was about five years ago, when they brought Addison (who was just about my age at the time) and Maddie. Circle of life, or something.

We all met up at Ivar’s on Pier 54 in the early afternoon for a nice seafood lunch. Apparently I was the only one who caught the irony of this. Nothing like eating what you’re going to be oohing and aahing over later. Maybe next time we’ll eat some gorilla and then go to the zoo.

We all had a great time – especially Mom, who was able to cuddle with me all day while I sat comfortably in the Baby Bjorn. I had just one small meltdown, and luckily it was while we were inside the underwater dome and all the noise from other kids completely drowned me out. Turns out it was a tired cry, because I fell fast asleep not long after I started crying.

See below for a little photo essay of our day. I’m already looking forward to the next trip so I can visit my new underwater friends again. Having said that, if you think I wasn’t cautiously checking the water around me for sharks and jellyfish during my bath on Saturday night, you’re sorely mistaken.


Good times at lunch with Maddie.

Addison gets her face painted.

She got a dolphin. Maddie got an Orca, then spent much of the rest of the day
lamenting the fact that they are unfairly called killer whales.

Auntie Heather and Uncle Brian, look behind you!

As you can see, my 9-year-old cousin doesn't quite measure up to a Sixgill Shark, 
but at 4-foot-9, she's only 6 inches shorter than my 32-year-old mom.

Heading outside to see the seals.

Staying warm. Mom would like it known that I'm wearing very cute pants and shoes under that blanket.

You can't tell from the photo of this sea otter family, but the dad pretty much sat there doing nothing
while the mom did all the work with the baby. So like us!

Addison checks out a starfish.

Maddie had several staring contests with this fish, and lost every time.
She felt better afterward when she learned that fish don't blink.

The calm before the storm. I started crying about 30 seconds after this photo was taken.

I have no idea what these 'stick your face in the hole' things are actually called, 
but they're never not fun, for kids or adults.


Or babies, it seems.

After a long day, I earned this nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment